Two years ago I started a work in oil for The Virtual Paintout challenge and didn't finish it because I just couldn't get the colours right. I then tried to do it in gouache and watercolour and it still didn't work out but I found this half-done work a few weeks ago and was determined to 'fix' it. I didn't!! However, I then became determined to 'finish' it to some level of competence. I couldn't match the glowing oranges and rusts of the original photograph as those colours just didn't exist in my collection of gouache tubes and the detail was too fine in the original photograph to transpose to this small format, especially in that long line of small houses on the left. I also should have used a finer grain of watercolour paper to make detail work easier. The only thing I am really happy with is the tree, and even that needs some fine-tuning but I can't do any more without muddying the whole work. I now have lots of work on the go for a year-end project which might be a bit too ambitious for me taking into account the little spare time I have for painting on the weekends. We carry on.
"Lane in San Miguel de Allende"
Gouache, Watercolour and Coloured Pencil on Watercolour Paper
6" x 6"