Pages

Thursday 3 January 2013

Neighbourhood Trees

Trees are difficult. The more you see, the more there is to paint and that is where the difficulties arise; for me at least. The format was too small for the subject, but I kept going and found huge frustration in trying to capture the blinding sunlight on the leaves and trunks as well as capturing form and depth of the foliage. Greens still not totally correct, but I learned a huge amount. I started with big washes and worked up to the detail in stages which made it slightly over-worked in the end, but it is acceptable enough to post here.  I know it doesn't have to be a dead-accurate representation of the original photograph, but I did want to portray more than an interpretation. 

"Neighbourhood Trees"
Gouache on Watercolour Paper - 4.75" x 4.25" (Approx.) 

Original Photograph

2 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Anne, I think it is beautiful! You did an awesome job. I haven't held a brush in weeks it seems.

Anne C M Campbell said...

Thanks Sherry! Yes, I hadn't held a brush in months, but it's "good to be back" so to speak. :-)