Pages

Saturday 26 May 2012

The Virtual Paintout - May 2012 Challenge

I had no intentions of participating in any challenges this year as I am working on bigger and 'slower' works which are more personal to me but I still check into the Virtual Paintout blog, and when I saw this month's city was Jerusalem, I felt a bit left out. I've been to Israel and walked down the Via Dolorosa and believe me it is very, very strange. The Google Street Maps seem to have visited on a sunny, busy day in this chaotic and mysterious part of the Old City of Jerusalem, so different from the day I visited when it was darker, in fact spooky, and far fewer shops were open.

"Corner Via Dolorosa & Beit HaBad - Old City, Jerusalem" 
Gouache on Watercolour Paper - 8" x 8" 

2 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Wow, Anne! This is beautiful and rather eerie at the same time. For some reason too, I think of Chinatown everywhere. An interesting feeling as I never would have expected to see such a scene in Jerusalem. I keep visiting Virtual Paintout too and I rarely participate either. If I had the time and energy, I would have wanted to do Jerusalem as well.

Anne C M Campbell said...

Thanks Sherry - yes, the Old City of Jerusalem had a shock around every corner, for me anyway.